Rajma Masala is one of the signature dishes cooked in every Indian home. This dish is a comfort food best eaten with side of rice and yogurt. You can make this dish using stove top pressure cooker or electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot). Which ever way you decide to make it, rajma masala is always a great comfort food. In this blog post, am sharing the recipe of how to make Rajma Masala in Instant Pot.
If you ask any Punjabi (North Indian) what was your favorite food growing up in Delhi? The answer will be Rajma Masala with jeera rice. Oh those days! Sunday afternoon lunch was so special, mom used to make rajma masala and jeera rice. It was served with a side of mint raita (mint flavored yogurt), onion rings sprinkled with chat masala ,lemon juice and mango pickle. I can still visualize my lunch plate, when I am typing this recipe post. So many of my childhood memories are refreshed with this blog post. If you grew up in Delhi, you would have surely eaten steaming hot plate of rajma rice from road side vendor. I remember eating it many times during my shopping trips to Connaught Place.
I was working on the blog index few days back when I realized that I have not posted rajma recipe on the blog. I have been making rajma in Instant Pot from the first week I started using it. This is a simple recipe to make – soaked beans are pressure cooked and then mixed and cooked further in masala paste of ginger, garlic, onion, tomatoes and spices.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you give this recipe a try, do let me know. Leave a comment, Pin it, or take a picture and tag it #cookingyoulove on Instagram. I would love to know how it turned out for you.
- Wash and drain overnight soaked beans. Put them in Instant Pot and add water enough to cover the beans and pinch of salt.
- Close the lid and select Manual mode for 15 minutes.
- When timer goes off let the steam release and shift beans and water in a clean bowl.
- Wash the pot clean. Dry the pot and insert it back.
- In a blender puree onion, ginger and garlic in a fine paste.
- Switch Instant Pot and select saute mode. Add 1 tbsp oil, when hot add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds splutter add the puree from the blender and cook.
- Fry it for 10-15 minutes till it becomes brown. Add a splash of water and mix so that the puree is further cooked and gets darker color.
- Add tomato puree and mix. Cook it for approx 5-6 minutes.
- Add all spices listed in the Ingredients section and remaining 1 tbsp oil.
- Mix well and cook for 2 more minutes so that spices blend well.
- Now add the cooked beans and water back to Instant Pot.
- Select bean mode which is preset for 30 minutes.
2. Use splatter cover when cooking tomato puree.
3. My cooked beans had enough water so I did not add more water. Make sure your beans are well covered with puree and water. If not you can add little water.