Instant Pot Chickpea Potato Curry is a delicious, satisfying vegetarian dish. This is an easy to make Indian curry. Chickpeas and potatoes are pressure cooked and simmered in tomato puree and are served with hot India bread Bhatura or poori.
Weekends are special why if you ask? Its the time we get together as family to eat all meals together. I grew up in Delhi where chickpea potato curry and bhatura is special weekend treat. Mom used to make this as a special weekend treat for us.
Chickpea potato curry is a famous Indian dish and is cooked in many variations like no onion no garlic version, dry to semi or curry version. The signature Delhi version of chickpea potato curry is where the curry is dark brown in color. This dark color comes as chickpeas are soaked with tea bags and dry goose berries. The curry is cooked in iron skillet which further enhances the dark brown color.
When I attempted to make Instant Pot Chickpea potato curry, my thoughts were on making this as a complete one pot meal. I had no intent of using the skillet for getting the dark brown color. Yes, color is very important for us. We relish this dish a lot for both flavor and color, true Delhi style. We love eating this curry so much that whenever we visit Delhi. We make sure we visit our favorite restaurant and eat this curry.
I made this Instant Pot Chickpea Potato curry some time back. Since today is Friday, I am planing to make this curry again on weekend. This is an easy, delicious one pot meal served with hot Bhatura, vegetable raita and mango pickle. Yum is the word. Try it and am sure you will nod yes with me.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you give this recipe a try, do let me know. Leave a comment,Pin it, or take a picture and tag it #cookingyoulove on Instagram. I would love to know how it turned out for you.
- 2 cups chickpeas - soaked overnight
- 2 black-tea bags
- 4 small pieces of dry amla (Indian gooseberry)
- 2 black cardamoms
- Whole Spices
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- Dry Spices
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp red chili
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp chana masala
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ inch ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 big onion thinly sliced
- 2 medium sized potatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- Rinse pre soaked chickpeas. Add to Instant Pot with 2 cups of water, tea bags and dry amla.
- Close the lid and select Manual Mode. Reduce the timer and set for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool, when the steam is released shift chickpeas and water in a clean bowl.
- Wash the pot clean. Dry the pot and insert it back.
- Switch Instant Pot and select saute mode.
- Add oil, when hot add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cloves.
- When seeds splutter add sliced onions and fry.When done add ginger garlic paste and fry.
- Now add chopped potatoes and mix well. Fry it well, aprox 5- 10 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and mix it well. Fry it well till puree blends well.
- Add dry spices and 1 tsp oil and mix well
- Now add pressure cooked chickpeas only and mix well.
- Add in total 3 cups water. This should be boiled water from earlier and fresh water.
- Close the lid ans select Manual mode for 15 minutes.
2. Water in which chickpeas are boiled enhance flavor of this dish