Instant Pot Indian coconut chicken curry is an easy weeknight dinner fix. This chicken curry is cooked to perfection with mild Indian spices in coconut milk. Serve this with side of cumin rice and dal, perfect for weeknight chicken curry cravings.
Its been raining continuously here in Santa Barbara from past few weeks. We did not get much rain here in the past two -three years. This as you can imagine is a welcome change for us. For me this is a perfect weather to sit on the couch, sip warm tea and just look at rain drops falling on the tree leaves. I can just sit like this and admire the new lush green cover over the mountains, falling rain drops all day long.
I love it when it rains and am enjoying this change in weather to the fullest. These days I am happy driving my car over water puddles and don’t mention gleefully splashing water all around. This reminds me of my favorite childhood memories.Back in the days when it used to rain on my way back from school. I would impatiently wait to get down from the school bus and look around for water puddles. And when I used to find one, jump on them and splash water. So much fun! Now when my daughter wants to do the same dare I can say no to her.
Rain also has another effect on me. This weather makes me crave for warm soups, chicken curry and spiced ginger tea. Cravings, we all give in some time. Me – I always give in. So, this past week I made coconut chicken curry for dinner. I tried my usual stove top curry recipe in Instant Pot and it turned out perfect.
Sharing the recipe for Instant Pot Indian Coconut Chicken Curry. This chicken curry is rich in flavors, it is cooked with Indian spices and coconut milk. Serve this chicken curry with side of cumin rice or garlic naan and dal. This is a delicious, comforting meal to have on cold, wet winter nights.
Looking for more Instant Pot Chicken recipes? Try my recipes for Instant Pot Palak Chicken or Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala. For more Indian Instant Pot recipes check my Instant Pot recipe Index Page.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you give this recipe a try, do let me know. Leave a comment, Pin it, or take a picture and tag it #cookingyoulove on Instagram. I would love to know how it turned out for you.
- 2.5 lbs chicken (mix of drumsticks and thigh) pieces
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2black cardamom
- 6 green cardamons
- 6 garlic cloves sliced
- ½ inch ginger sliced
- 1 big onion sliced
- 5 tomatoes chopped
- 1 can organic light coconut milk
- Spice Powders:
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tspturmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Switch Instant Pot on and select Saute Mode.
- Add oil when it is warm add bay leaves, black cardamom, cloves and green cardamom
- Now add onions and cook till they turn pink in color. Add ginger and garlic mix and cook.
- After few minutes add sliced tomatoes and cook. When they turn mushy switch off Instant Pot.
- Let the mixture cool down they add this to the blender. Remove the bay leaves and keep aside.
- Grind the mixture with coconut milk.
- Wash and clean the main pot, dry and insert it back. Now switch on Instant Pot on Saute mode.
- Add oil when warm add cumin seeds, bay leaves ( from earlier). After few minutes add chicken pieces and cook.
- When pieces turn brown add the ground mixture from earlier and mix.
- Now add the spice powders listed in the ingredient list. Mix well.
- Close the lid and cancel saute mode. Now select Manual mode for 10 minutes and open the lid after the pressure releases completely.
- Serve coconut chicken curry with side of cumin rice and dal.