Instant Pot Vegan Jackfruit Tikka Masala is a delicious and mildly spiced Indian curry. This is a quick and easy vegan dinner fix recipe, if you are trying to get more nutrient rich vegetables in your diet.You can now get whole jackfruit in any Asian or Indian grocery store in USA. If you are looking to get smaller quantity as compared to buying the whole fruit as it is huge. You can try getting the canned or frozen jackfruit. You can easily get Green Jackfruit can in brine at your nearest Trader Joe or order it from Amazon.
When we were living in Santa Barbara, we did not have easy access to Indian grocery store, so I used to buy and cook this curry with canned jackfruit. We have now relocated to a new state, we now have Indian grocery stores close by. I am now using the frozen tender jack for making curry.
If you decide to buy the canned jackfruit, make sure its soaked in water or brine only. Sometimes, jackfruit is soaked in syrup and canned. You don’t need that, as its very sweet and cannot be used to make curries. Now, if you decide to buy the whole Jackfruit keep in mind its huge and not easy to cut. Wear gloves and try cutting it with a big, sharp knife very carefully.I have been missing from posting on the blog for many months. We relocated and I have been busy with settling in at our new place. I have been spending past few weeks time on how to follow a whole food plant based diet. At present, I am in the research phase of how to incorporate more vegetables and grains in our diet. I have grown up eating poultry, dairy and oil. So it’s going to be a big lifestyle change and am still not there. This thought process has set me on trying different plant based recipes.
I am now trying to be more regular in posting new recipes on the blog. For now, try this simple Instant Pot Vegan Jackfruit Tikka Masala. Trust me its easy to make, delicious and something different than Chicken Tikka Masala. Serve this Instant Pot Vegan Jackfruit Tikka Masala as a side with rice vegetable pilaf, quinoa pilaf or just plain roti or naan. Its just delicious!
- 400 gms or one packet of frozen frozen tender jack
- Alternate : Jackfruit Can from Amazon
- Dry Spices
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 small bay leaves
- 6 small green cardamoms
- 1 cinnamon stick
- For onion puree
- 1 big onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- ½ inch fresh ginger root
- Other ingredients
- 3 tomatoes pureed
- 15 whole cashews
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp red chili
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. kasoori methi(fenugreek powder)
- Switch Instant Pot to saute mode and add 1 tbsp. oil. When hot add cumin seeds, bay leaves, green cardamoms and cinnamon stick.
- Puree all ingredients mentioned under (for onion puree). Add the pureed onion paste to the pot and stir fry. Keep mixing as this will start turning brown and stick to the pot. Add little water and fry the paste to get dark brown color.
- Now add the tomato puree and mix well. When the puree has reduced to half and mixed evenly with the onion puree add one tbsp. tomato paste and mix well.
- Puree cashews in blender with little water to make a thick paste and add to the already cooked mixture. This will make the mixture thick and creamy.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and red chili powder and mix well.
- Add your frozen jackfruit pieces and mix well. Mix it for two minutes so that the pieces are well coated with the puree.
- Add one cup water and mix well. Close the Instant Pot lid and select Manual mode for 10 minutes. When done let the pressure release naturally.
- After the pressure has dropped open the lid and sprinkle dry fenugreek powder and serve hot.
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Try my recipes for Instant Pot Dal Makhani or Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala. For more Indian Instant Pot recipes check my Instant Pot recipe Index Page.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you give this recipe a try, do let me know. Leave a comment, Pin it, or take a picture and tag it #cookingyoulove on Instagram. I would love to know how it turned out for you.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, this means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the links shared in this post. This is at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!